Monday 20 April 2015

Real value for money


Introduction.

Image by Freedigitalimages.net
Due to the nature of my work (web developer and project manager) I spend a lot of time on the internet. I  do research on various websites and social media channels. In my previous post I wrote about "Dr Googles". I referred to users who read something on a website and then call themselves experts in a particular field.

I have been doing web development for small and medium size businesses for over 12 years. I will not call myself an absolute expert in programming because there are super clever programmers out there. I will say  however that I will be able to help any small to medium size business to get the necessary online exposure.

The problem in the web development and IT industry is that there are a lot of so called "experts". These are individuals that design one website, or fix one PC and then regard themselves as experts.

Well, the sad news is that this is not only happening in the IT industry. All over the spectrum experts are appearing from no where.

Identifying value for money ?

Getting a new client on board is a process, you meet with the potential client, write a proposal, follow up etc. During the process you discuss cost, and sometimes you have to explain in detail how you ended up with your fee.

On numerous occasions I had to compete with the "Cousin's neighbor" who is working from his parents house. Anyone out there can develop / design a website for free with free tools but that does not make them a professional web developer.

When ever I have to justify my cost to a client I always use the following examples:

1. I can download a lease agreement from a website, does that make me a lawyer ? NOPE !!

2. I can download an open source CAD (Computer Aided Design) program and design my own house, does that make me an architect ?

3. I can watch videos about photography, but again does that make me an instant professional photographer ?

and so on and so.

Business are operating in a very competitive market and sometime cost will be an issue. I have noticed though that cost is still an important consideration but informed users are also looking at the quality of product/ service that he/ she will get.

Is it not time that we as consumers , clients, customers or users look a bit further than just price, we also need to look at some of the following:

1. Experience of the vendor / supplier.
2. The support that he / she offer after you have signed an agreement.
3. Product guarantee.
4. Years in business.
5. Testimonials from satisfied customers.

... to name a few.

Economic times are tough and we have to consider cost , among other things, when we make a decision about a product or service. Sometimes however we need to look beyond cost and look at other service offerings from the company or person that we are buying from to get real value for money.

Entrepreneurs and business owners will tell you that it "Takes money to make money" and the same applies when we as consumers purchase products or service offerings from companies.

To conclude:

 In South Africa we have legislation that protects consumers. Some companies did exploit poorly informed consumers and legislation was drafted to protect these consumers.

But what I notice is that consumers are to quick to pull the "consumer card" , I have rights, I am a consumer, I am the customer , I am always right (No you are not) and so on.

I am from the opinion that consumers need to come to the party and do some research when they are planning to purchase a product that they regard as high value.

I hope you will be satisfied with your new product or service and that you will get real value for money.




No comments:

Post a Comment